Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Processing......


I am, I have learned through my education classes, an external processor.  External processors tend to verbalize while they process thought.  They are usually the first to answer questions in class…because the internal processors are still formulating what they intend to say…and tend (gasp) to dominate the conversation if they are not aware of the disadvantages to their learning style.  An external processor is more prone to speak before the thought is complete ..(!!!)…is this why my mouth gets me in trouble?

My husband is an internal processor…a VERY internal processor!  This really used to frustrate me early in our marriage.  Internal processors (at least in this case) are very hard to argue with.  How does one argue with a person who thinks out everything they want to say?  By the time the response is given, the heat of the moment has passed and, at least generally speaking, reason begins to seep into the conversation.  In the presence of reason and calm, passion and anger don’t have a chance.  I was fortunate to learn this very early, and now rational discussion takes the place of argument on the rare occasion we actually disagree.

Throughout the years my husband and I have perfected the art of marriage (at least we think so).  In fact, it is our differences that create the strength of our relationship.  My passion and spontaneity have come to compliment Phil’s order and reason.  Were it not for my husband, I would be a disorganized puddle of emotions.  If it weren’t for me, Phil would have no fun (at least that is what I tell him constantly).  **insert smirk here**

When I think of the body of Christ, I see the same thing, especially in styles of worship.  Some of us are external processors; we get caught up in the passion of worship and it is visible to the world.  We raise our hands, clap them, and may even run the aisles of the sanctuary (haven’t seen that one in a long time).  For others, the process is internal.  The spirit is moving inside without any appearance externally.  No amount of cheerleading from the platform is going to propel these people to run the aisles or waive their hands.  They are not worshipping less…they are just worshipping differently.  

Corporate worship is a valuable part of our spiritual lives.  We forget, however, that God does not dwell in our style of worship alone.  There are as many forms of worship as there are people in the Kingdom.  Each unique individual responds to God’s grace in his own personal way. That is the beauty of Christ’s Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment