Saturday, February 19, 2011

Prayer Warriors: Where are They?


For many years I have had the privilege of living among some of God’s prayer warriors.  These were not ordinary people who went about their business and prayed at the end of the day.  They were people who breathed prayer constantly.  When we lived at the Mission Center in Kentucky, there were several living all in one house…we called it “No Man’s Land.”  Five ladies lived there, and the Spirit of God was their sixth housemate.  God dwelled in that residence.

On Wednesday and Sunday nights our small church met in that house for years; the doors always welcome to all who would come to worship with us.  Prayer was a spectacular thing; like nothing I had experienced before.  Their prayers sustained us through some pretty hard times. But most of these ladies are in heaven how.

When I think of them, I wonder where the prayer warriors are in our generation?  I know many people my age who pray, but there is something missing I cannot identify.  These prayer warriors of my past had something special; something that took them to the foot of the Throne in an instant.  There was no need for repetitive worship music or motivational sermons; they were so accustomed to the pathway to the Throne they arrived there instantly.  Even in their failing years, when age stole so much of their mobility, their passion never faded.  

I want what they had.  I want to be so sure, so secure in my faith that I can sit at the foot of the Throne and, with all confidence, petition my Father for the needs of the world.  But for now, I start with 144 minutes.  I am learning the pathway; one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment