Monday, February 14, 2011

Knowing You Have a Problem.......


THE PROBLEM:

Time has long been the victim of cliché upon cliché:  

“Time is precious”           

“Time heals all wounds”

“Time is the essence”

“Time flies when you are having fun”

It seems that as “time flies,” we find ourselves, “time and time again,” trying to find that “stitch in time” “at the eleventh hour” to finish our tasks “in the nick of time.”   We are “living on borrowed time,” reminding ourselves that “Rome wasn’t built in a day” so we need to “take time to smell the roses.”

You get the idea.  

The fact is that as a society we are obsessed with time.  Our cell phones, computers, IPods and GPS units all keep track of it for us.  Society is running at such a fast pace that the immediate has taken precedent over the important.  I know that for me personally, the reality of time runs about 30 seconds ahead of my daily schedule.  I am always trying to catch up.  At 48, I have found myself in college full time, caring for elderly in-laws, dealing with doctors’ appointments, hospital stays, trying to be a wife, a mother, grandmother,  spend time with my terminally ill sister…this list grows longer every day.  Time alone with God has been a struggle, and it continues to be.

DIVINE INTERVENTION?

Enter the equalizer of all things:  Mononucleosis! 

After months of taxing myself physically, I have finally fallen to the reality that I am not Wonder Woman.  (This is probably best, because spandex is just not a good idea for someone of my frame!)  

 Early in January time was brought abruptly to a halt with the reality of a rather severe case of mono.   I found myself confined to quarters regardless of the needs of others around me.  I was once again reminded that "you can’t take care of anyone if you don’t take care of yourself."  (It should be pointed out at this time that I have told countless people this, it just wasn’t supposed to apply to me)  Perhaps that Someone who orders the universe decided to bring me to a halt…just long enough to realize that this time is not “my” time, but "His" time.  

And so…at this time, while forced against my will into a slower pace, I have decided to devote my time to building a habit of time management that can carry back into my busy schedule when I re-enter the mainstream of humanity.  After all “there is a time for every purpose under Heaven.” 

This time is my time to  use the time God has given me to make the time to tithe my time back to him…(if you understood that line, you are amazing).  

2 comments:

  1. You should get all those emails Brenda saved from you and start your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted and its lost==darn==well any way I am on your page so keep up the writing wisdom God has given you.

    ReplyDelete