Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Ground Rules :#1 - Gross or Net?


Every good idea needs a plan of action.  After all, goals without plans are just dreams.  So, if I am going to tithe 144 minutes of my time for God, I need to develop some definitive parameters.  We will, dear reader, address those questions one at a time (since I tend to be wordy and you would quickly grow weary)

1.       How do I arrive at the 144 minute tithe?

This first question is really a question of semantics. What exactly is a tithe?  Do I tithe the waking hours I can actually do something, or include all those hours I am (supposedly) sleeping?  It is much like the question that arises when we discuss the financial tithe:  Gross or Net?  It has been our determination that tithing the Net is counterproductive.  After all, aren’t we supposed to give the “first portion” to God?  If we are giving only on the net of our income, then the government is taking the “first portion” and I certainly am not going to consider the government my God.  (Can I hear an “Amen”?)  

Tithing 10% of a full 24 hours serves the same purpose.  Sleep is for my benefit, so if I tithe my time after I sleep, I am getting the “first portion” and I am not (contrary to the belief of many former students) a god! (Insert another “Amen” here.)

144 minutes does seem like a pretty big chunk of the day, doesn’t it?  How much time do I really have? After all, I must include time for my personal hygiene (for the benefit of all), nutrition (man cannot live on Poptarts alone…it am pretty sure that is in Leviticus) and upkeep of the home (Proverbs 31 woman and all).  But what about those time-suckers…those things that are not essential to the running of my life…Facebook, scrabble blast, writing blogs that no one reads, Farkle…what I am willing to eliminate to give God what He is due?  

While you are reading this, I will be trimming out the deadwood; when I am done, I am quite certain there will more than 144 minutes to spare!

Blessings!

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
   but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment