Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Visitors and My Happy Place

Everyone should have a Happy Place.  For some of us, it is a mental place that we escape to when the stresses of life grow to great to endure.  Some have, however, a physical Happy Place we go to and just being there brings us a sense of well-being.  I have (for the time being) traded my mental Happy Place (places, actually) for a physical one.

It all started when I got the bright idea some weeks ago to power wash our huge deck (12X36).  It has not been cleaned since we moved in in 2009, and most likely, since the house was vacant for some years before we bought it, the time span was even greater.  My husband (we call him McGyver because he can build/do anything) had planned to tear down the old boards and make something of them, and replace them with new because they looked so terrible.  But, when you work excavation, when you have the money (the summer when you are working 50-60 hours a week) you have no time; and when you have time (the winter, when you are laid off) you have no money.  And so the deck remained in its original state: grey, moldy and gross.

Enter the wife with the pressure washer.  Who would have known that water was so powerful?  Not only did it take off the old paint, the mold and crud, it also gouged a couple of holes in the wood (before I figured out the right pressure).  It should also be noted at this point that aiming the pressure washer carelessly close to your bare feet is not wise.  It may be some time before the skin grows back on my big toe (ouch).  Regardless of pain and suffering, the deck now looks new and is awaiting a fresh coat of sealant.  Yay me!

So...deck furniture, plants and a newly purchased portable awning in place and I have a new Happy Place.  It has become my favorite spot for morning coffee, devotions, homework, and random sitting and pondering absolutely nothing!  Enter...my visitors.

The first to discover my new Happy Place were the local mosquitoes.  I am beginning to believe, as my cousin Zanna would say, that citronella candles are really just big glowing "Eat Here" signs.  The little buggers descend upon the deck just before dusk, like football players at an all-you-can-eat buffet.  Candles seem to be no deterrent.  Bug spray, though smelly (and apparently detrimental to newly manicured nail polish ...another story for another time) seems to have remedied the problem.

My next visitor was far more welcome.  Sitting on my deck couch the other day, I heard a pleasant buzzing and looked up to see a hummingbird sipping at the flowers on one of the hanging plants on my awning.  He looked at me as though to say, "thanks for the snack" and buzzed away.  He has been back several times since, and I imagine that my sister Cindy has sent him to check on me.  She loved her hummers so much!  I think I will name him Bing Humsby.

 My most recent visitor surprised me this afternoon.  Anticipating the rain this morning, I had covered the couch with a throw before retiring last night.  Upon return from my multiple errands this afternoon I made myself a cup of coffee, grabbed my homework and headed for my happy spot.  Who should I find under the throw but a good sized tree frog.  He seem to be resting from the stresses of his day and looked at me disinterestedly.  After enduring an impromptu photo shoot, he very graciously gave me the couch and took residence first on the leg of the end table, and later in the corner of the deck.  As he eats mosquitoes, I have invited him to stay, and named him Geraldo Aquatica.  (don't ask me why...it just is).

So, my Happy Place is rapidly filling with friends to share it with.  Unfortunately, none of them seem to enjoy two sided conversion, and the offer of tea didn't appeal to them.  SO.....if you are in the area and wish to join my tea party, I will be on the deck with Geraldo and Bing; the mosquitoes have not been invited, but they tend to be party crashers, so bring the bug spray!

No comments:

Post a Comment