Friday, August 19, 2011

Babies and Puppys - the Conspiracy Theory

I am beginning to become paranoid.  It seems to me, however, that my granddaughter Emma and her puppy Bailey are in cahoots together.  The baby needs a diaper change; while I am changing her the puppy messes on the floor.  I go to let the puppy out; the baby empties the dog dish on the floor.  Emma pulls down the box of kleenex off the end table; Bailey pulls out the tissue and shreds it; Emma helps.  Yes, it is a conspiracy that even Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts could not thwart.

The problem with the whole thing (you see, they are very, very good) is that they have the whole adorable/cuteness factor working in their favor.  They use it to its full potential, too.  Grandma says, "Emma, don't touch that!"  Emma turns to Grandma and smiles that melt-your-heart smile and says "Hi!"  Grandma is chasing the puppy around trying to extract Big Bird from his tiny jaws.  Bailey drops the toy, cocks his head to one side, and...well...he has these little black jelly-bean eyes.

"Put him in his kennel" the parents say.  "Put her in the pack and play...let her cry for a while".  Oh, PLEASE!  Have you ever heard the most pitiful tiny puppy whimper resounding from behind bars?  Have you ever witnessed a sad little black nose poking out of the tiny window in a kennel door?  AND what Grandma worth her salt is going to listen to her adorable granddaughter sobbing in the next room as though her little heart would break any moment?

Could it be?  Is it true?  Have I become an old softie in my old age?  That hard-nosed teacher who kept her classroom in order is conquered by a one-year-old and a puppy?  **GASP**  It is true....I have become a Grandmother in the truest sense....bifocals and all.  IN FACT...yesterday I wore my hair in a bun all day and wore sensible shoes!  HOLY COW!

I would expand on that thought more, but right now I need to catch a shower...the baby is in her pack and play and the puppy in his kennel; the toys are picked up and the shredded tissue discarded.  All in the house have been fed, watered, and *ahem* done their business.  I think I may have five minutes before I am needed again.  I really DO love my life!  :)

1 comment: